This yummy spicy buttermilk kadi goes brilliantly with plain rice. It is mouth wateringly delicious.
Ingredients: Serves 2-3
Thick curds: 1.5 cups
Water: 1/2 cup
Kuvalo/ Ashgourd: 1 cup cubed
Water to cook kuvalo: 1 cup
Salt to taste
Raw rice: 1tbsp
Methi seeds: 8
Kashmiri red chillies: 2
Ginger paste: 1/2 tsp
Dessicated/ freshly grated coconut: 1/2 handful
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Small red chillies: 3
Curry leaves : one sprig
1. In a vessel take 1/2 tsp oil and saute methi seeds, raw rice and broken kashmiri chillies till fragnant and rice turns white or opaque. Put into a grinder along with ginger, grated coconut and 3 tbsps water to get a fine paste. Add more water if required.
2. Meanwhile cook the cubed ashgourd/ kuvalo along with a pinch of turmeric, 1 cup water and salt till done.
4. Add the ground spice mixture to the cooked kuvalo and cook for further 5-7 minutes on a low flame bringing the mixture to a gentle boil, frequently stirring along the sides and base of the vessel using a wooden spoon. This should allow the ground rice in the mixture to cook and prevent mixture sticking to sides of vessel.Take off the heat.
3. Beat the thick curd along with 1/2 a cup water till smooth.
4. Slowly add 1/3 of the curd to the vegetable mixture and give a good stir. Then add rest of the curd. Mix well.Taste for salt.
5.Transfer the mixture into a large thick bottom vessel. Gently bring the entire kadi to a gentle boil stirring frequently, on a low heat, then turn the heat off . (Hurrying this step using a high flame can cause the curd to seperate).
6. For seasoning: Heat oil add mustard seeds, once it splutters add the red chillies, curry leaves and hing, when fragnant pour over kadi.
Yummy Kuvalo che takka kadi/ buttermilk kadi with ashgourd is ready. Serve with hot plain rice, , fried fish, sandiges and pickle.