If you are a Wings lover, I am about to change your life. I am about to make you the happiest person on the planet. I am about to tell you how to make a very tasty hot and spicy chicken wings dish, better known as Buffalo Chicken wings!!. The original Buffalo Chicken Wings is deep-fried wings coated in a sauce of vinegar-based cayenne pepper hot sauce and butter. This is a baked version of the original deep fried version hence a healthier choice.
For a kids version reduce the spice in the coating flour and serve along with a sweet BBQ sauce or Ketchup.
Chicken wings: 20
Cayenne pepper( chilli powder) : 2 tsps
Garlic powder: 1tsp
Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
Salt: 1/2 tsp
For the Buffalo Wings Pouring Sauce
Hot pepper sauce (such as Frank’s RedHot®): 1/2 cup
Olive oil or melted butter: 3 tbsps
1. Cut wings at joints.
2. Wash wings and thoroughly dry them using paper towels. The drier the wings the crispier they will turn out.
3. Line a baking sheet or roasting pan with parchment paper/foil, and place a cooling rack or equivalent on top of the lined roasting pan. The coated wings will be placed on top of this rack while baking in the oven. This will stop the wings from soaking up all the fat that drips down from the wings as it is cooking. Lining the roasting tin will allow all that grease to be easily cleaned up.
4. Combine flour, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, black pepper and salt in a bowl. Add any other dried spices of your choice to the flour.
5. Dredge the prepared wings into the flour mixture . Place the dredged wings on the prepared rack and place the entire set up in the lowest shelf of your fridge for 45 min-1 hr uncovered. This will allow the coating to set and create a wonderfully crispy coating.
6. Preheat oven to 200 C or 400F for 7 minutes.
7. Take out the wings from the fridge and in the center of a hot oven. Bake at 200C for 30 minutes. Then turn over and cook for another 25-30 minutes until the flour coating appears nice and crispy and the wings are cooked. Take out of the oven and rest for 5 minutes. Place the wings in a serving bowl.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you must get your teeth into my much loved Chilli Wings Recipe or Wings on Fire. You will love its simplicity and flavours.