I was craving some hot and spicy food and keeping to my desire to try to get more fish in my diet, I decided to go fishy last Sunday. When I remembered a request from one of my dear readers Mariette DCunha, who wrote to me saying:
Love your blog and feel happy to be a part of my cooking experience” Warm Regards,Mariette
Since I didn’t want the fire department rushing to my doorstep with firewood and coals creating this lovely smoke in my kitchen….I decided to go the easy route and baked this dish in my oven instead 😉
Recipe to Make Mangalore Style Baked Fish Masala. “Voir Ponda Vuzo”
Serves 2| Preparation time: 3o mins | Baking time: 20-25 minutes.
Sardines : 6 cleaned or Mackerals: 2 large
For Spice paste 1: Meet Mirsang/ Chilli paste: For Marination
Slicings for frying:
Onion: 1 medium
Tomato: 2 small
Green chillies: 1 no
Ginger: 1/2 inch finey chopped
Garlic: 3 cloves finely chopped
Coriander leaves: 2 tsps finely chopped
Spice paste 2:
Kashmiri or Bedagi Chilli powder- 2 tsps
Cumin Powder- 1 tsp
Coriander powder: 1/2 tsp
Tumeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Vinegar- to taste
Salt to taste.
1. Clean fish well. If using big fish like Mackerals or Pomfret try to clean fish without opening side. (Helps to stuff fish with the spicy tomato- onion-garlic mixture). Dry with paper towels. Keep aside.
2. Prepare Spice paste 1 : Take ingredients under Spice Paste 1 in a bowl, add water to make a shiny paste. See here. Do not make runny or too thick. Spread paste all over body and insides of fish. Keep aside for a minimum of 10 minutes.
4. Prepare Spice Paste 2: In a small bowl take the powdered spices salt add vinegar, add a little water to make a thick paste. Taste for salt and sourness adjust.
5. In a pan take coconut oil, when hot add the curry leaves fry, add finely chopped onions and fry till onions are lightly brown, add the finely chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies fry till garlic slightly softens, add the prepared spice paste 2, and fry lightly ( do not allow to burn). Quickly add the finely chopped tomatoes and fry the mixture till tomatoes soften and oil starts seperating. Mash lighlty with the back of a spoon. Taste for seasoning. Adjust.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a shallow baking dish that will hold sardines/fish in a single layer. Place the 1/3rd of the prepared onion-tomato mixture at the base of a oven dish. Place fish side by side in prepared baking dish, laying fish on their sides over the spice bed. Stuff insides of fish with bit of mixture, place the remaining tomato mixture over the fish.
7. Place the dish in the center of a preheated oven at 180C/ 350F and bake for 20-25 mins or until done and top appears a deep red coloured.
Oven Roasted Fish in a Spicy North African Chermoula Marinade