This is a very simple and tasty sardine curry. I learned to make it from my mom. Here the spices for the masala/ spice paste requires no roasting or frying.
Kashmiri Dried red chillies: 12-15 nos
Pepper corns: 8 nos
Coriander seeds: 2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds: 1tsp
Whole cumin: 1 tsp
Methi/ Fenugreek seeds: 1tsp
Onion: 1 small
Tamarind : 2tsps extract or marble size ball
Salt to taste
Oil: 2 tbsps
Few curry leaves
For Garnish: few coriander leaves chopped.
1. Clean and wash sardines well. To reduce fishy smell of sardines wash in a final rinse of vinegar.
2. Grind the masala to a fine paste. Keep aside. Rinse the grinding stone or blender with 3 cups of drinking water. Reserve.
3. Heat oil in a vessel, once hot add curry leaves and fry for few seconds
4. Add the ground masala and the reserved masala water. Bring to a boil. Add salt to taste.
5. Add the sardines to the hot gravy gently one at a time. Close the lid and allow to cook on a medium heat for 7-10 minutes or till done.Taste for seasonings. Sprinkle over chopped coriander leaves.
6. Serve hot with white or boiled rice.