A lovely blend of spices makes this dish brilliant for a Saturday night in, on the couch, in front of the telly, with your favourite drink. Surely worth a try!
For best results marinade the chicken on the Friday night and allow it to sit in the fridge.
Chicken:1 small (cut into medium sized pieces with skin on/off as preferred)
Curd: 1/2 cup
Tumeric: 1/4 tsp
White pepper powder: 1tsp
Lemon juice: 1/2 no.
Ginger garlic paste: 1tbsp
Salt: to taste
Masala to grind:
Dried Red chillies: 8
Coriander seeds : 2 tsps
Cumin seeds: 1tsp
Fennel seeds/ saunf: 1 tsp
Methi seeds: 3-4
Onion: 1 finely sliced
Green chillies:2 slit
Curry leaves: 7-8 nos
Tomato puree: 1tsp
1. Make slits or gashes on the fleshy parts of chicken to allow the marinade to penetrate the meat better. Marinade the cleaned and cut chicken in the first marinade and leave it covered overnight in the fridge.
2. Take meat out of the fridge an hour before cooking. Put the marinaded chicken in a large pan, cover and cook on a medium heat without any water till done. ( approx 25-30 minutes).
3. Once the chicken is cooked, drain out any gravy to a cup and keep aside. Add 2-3 tsps oil to the same pan, turn the heat up to high, and fry the chicken pieces till their surface is browned or skin is crispy( if skin is on) .
4. In another non- stick pan take some oil/ ghee, fry the sliced onions, green chilli and curry leaves till onions turn brown, add the ground masala and fry for a few minutes till raw smell dissappears, add the tomato puree and some salt and fry till oil starts leaving the masala.
4. Add the fried chicken to the fried masala. Add the reserved marinade gravy. Mix well. Bring to a boil and cook till masala thickens and coats chicken. Check for salt . Squeeze over lemon juice.