This soft and tasty dosa, is very simple to make. It uses ground rice and beaten rice/ avalakki/ poha.
Its very simple to make as here I have made use of ready made Appam podi / Appam rice flour which is made of ground rice available in all Asian/ Kerala stores . If you cannot get hold of this ready made powder then raw rice can be used but needs to be soaked and ground to a paste with water and avalakki. I fried this batter in a appam pan.
Serve with vegetable/ chicken/ mutton stew curry, or for breakfast with honey, or as an egg dosa(see picture) with a layer of beaten egg poured over the dosa, and allowed to cook for a further 1 minute before serving.
Ready made Appam podi/ flour: 2 cups
Beaten rice (poha/ avalakki) : 1 cup
Thick curds: 4 tbsps
Salt to taste
Sugar: 4 tsps
Fast action yeast: 2 tsps
Water to make batter
1. Take beaten rice in a bowl. Dissolve curd in 1 cup warm water and pour over the beaten rice. Cover allow the beaten rice to soak for half an hour.
2. In a blender take the soaked beaten rice, add the appam flour and sufficient warm water to make a fine dosa like batter. The batter should be medium thick. Pour out the batter into a fermenting vessel, add sugar, salt & yeast ( which has been activated in a bowl containing 1tsp sugar and 3 tbsps warm water). Mix well.
3. Ferment in a warm place for few hours or overnight.
4. Take a non- stick Appam pan and heat on medium- high flame. When hot pour a ladle of batter and make similiar to appam.
5. Cover with a lid and let it cook for about 2 mins. There is no need to turn over.
6. Remove the lid and lift the dosa out. Can apply a little oil to surface using a teaspoon.
For Egg Dosa: Serves 1, makes 2 egg dosas.
1. Break the egg in a bowl, season with salt, chilli or pepper powder.
2. When pan is hot pour a ladle of dosa batter and let it cook for 30 secs then pour half beaten egg over the dosa, close pan and allow egg to cook. May take 3-4 minutes.
3. Pour a few drops of oil around dosa to let it crisp up. Use remaining egg to make another egg dosa.